My church is participating in a nationwide movement , called Servolution, that encourages people to show Christ’s love by serving others in simple acts of kindness. Check out this list of ideas to serve others.
As a mom, I need to improve in this area. I serve others. But, I do it alone. God is convicting me that I need to include my kids as I bless others! So, I have created a family-style serving list. Will you join the Servolution?
1. Host a free garage sale. It is just like a regular garage sale, but everything is free!
Kid-friendly jobs: help other kids “shop,” bag peoples’ treasures, hand out free popsicles or treats, carry items to peoples’ cars
2. Have a free lemonade stand.
Kid-friendly jobs: make/serve the lemonade, take a walk inviting people to their stand
3. Date Night-Babysit kids while their parents go on a date.
Kid-friendly jobs: prepare activities to entertain the kids, prepare a “date night” gift for the parents (popcorn, sparkling cider, gift card, etc.)
4. Sack lunches for homeless people– Prepare and deliver sack lunches to homeless people.
Kid-friendly jobs: help prepare the sack lunches, deliver them (with an adult)
5. Bless people that are mean to you. This is a hard one! Choose someone that is hard to love. Brainstorm with your kids as to the best way to bless that person.
6. Buy someone’s groceries or meal- Before grocery shopping or going out to eat, tell the kids that you will be purchasing someone’s groceries or meal. Decide beforehand how you will choose the person. Certain color shirt? Man or woman? Older person or young mom? The person in front of you? The person behind you? Then, go do it!
7. Hold the door and smile– Simple. Hold the door for people, smile at them, and say “Have a nice day.” Purposefully, go several places that day so that they have lots of opportunities to bless!
8. Secret Adopt-a-family– My boys love to spy. So, why not use it for good? Find a family that needs to know that God loves them. (financial crisis, divorce, illness, disaster) Secretly, create a game plan to bless that family for several days in a row. Randomly drop off packages/cards/letters/treaats at their front door. Shhhh…..don’t tell!
9. Flowers- pass out flowers to ladies at nursing homes, beauty parlors, or a store. (Get permission first.)
10. Free money – Hand your kids a stack of one dollar bills. Parents might consider carrying fives or tens? Hand out money to random strangers.
What are your ideas for blessing others……family-style?